Module 1 – Case
STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT PROCESS/VISION, MISSION, GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
The MGT599 Case is an ongoing exercise, meaning that we will be thoroughly reviewing one company throughout our four modules. This session, we will be conducting a strategic analysis of Pepsico.
Most companies have something that resembles a vision, mission, or set of values; or stated goals/objectives that define who the company is and how the company plans to do business. However, organizations may not always label these statements properly — calling a vision a mission, or calling their values a set of beliefs. Sometimes, companies do not have a mission statement at all, operating instead on a set of goals.
Hammonds, K. (2007). Michael Porter’s big ideas. Fast Company, 44. Retrieved on August 27, 2014, from https://www.fastcompany.com/42485/michael-porters-big-ideas
In this assignment, you will be critically evaluating the vision, values, mission statement, and goals/objectives of Pepsico.
Keys to the Assignment
After studying the background materials and completing the SLP, you are in an excellent position to evaluate a company’s published mission, vision, values, and objectives/goals. This Case asks you to begin your strategic analysis of Pepsico by evaluating the company’s mission, vision, values, and goals. To do this, observe the following procedure:
· Step 1: Visit the official website of Pepsico and identify the company’s vision, mission, values, and goals. (Hint: You will need to do some exploring and a certain amount of speculation—as the terms “vision” and “mission” (and sometimes even the term “company goals”) are used interchangeably. Explore the “Who We Are” and “Investors” (and other) links. Also, be sure that you look closely at the most recent Annual Reports.
· Step 2: Critically evaluate the mission, vision, values, and goals (again, you will likely need to make decisions as to which is which). Use the criteria in the background materials to support your assessment of the quality of the company’s mission, vision, values, and goals.
· Step 3: Determine which (if any) of the elements consider the goals and needs of specific stakeholder groups. Write down any examples.
· Step 4: Consider what changes are needed to improve the vision statement, the mission statement, the statement of company values, and the company’s objectives and goals.
· Step 5: Write a 6-7 page paper addressing the above requirements. You must meet minimum length requirements, by responding to each step above with precision and with depth of critical thinking.
NOTE THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS AS WELL:
1. Use of proper APA style is required in this course. Therefore, prepare your Case with proper documentation of sources, using in-text citations and a complete end reference list. Refer to the Well-Written Paper guide if you are not familiar with APA style.
2. Consider the Case as a formal business report that you are developing for the Board of Directors and CEO as Pepsico’s external consultant. This is a professional document. Follow the format below:
3. Note: You must use section headings to respond to all major requirements in all papers. Your section headings should appear similar to the following:
· Executive summary: This is a synopsis of the main points, conclusions, and recommendations made in the longer report. If you have never written an executive summary before, or would like a refresher, check this link: http://www.csun.edu/~vcecn006/summary.html
· Introduction: State the main purpose of the paper (thesis statement), what you hope to accomplish, and how you will go about doing it.
· Main Body: The “meat” of the paper. Emphasize analysis, not just description. Don’t just give me facts – interpret them! Delineate separate topics or sections with appropriate use of headings.
o Executive Summary
o Company’s Mission Statement and Analysis
o Company’s Vision and Analysis
o Company’s Values and Analysis
o Alignment of Company’s Mission, Vision, Values, and Goals with Stakeholders’ Interests
o Recommended Changes
Your paper will be evaluated using the grading rubric.
Tips and Suggestions
Note the following tips and suggestions:
· Business school case-study assignments are meant to offer practice opportunities for future business people who are earning their MBA degrees. Consider yourself a consultant hired by the company to make these critical assessments. There are no right or wrong answers to the Case question, so long as your position is well-defended.
· Study the theoretical concepts provided in the Background materials section of the module, and identify main strategy concepts.
· Analyze the vision, mission statement, etc. according to the criteria presented in the Background materials. Be critical and do not let yourself be influenced by a company’s “spin.”
· Do not hesitate to criticize the current statements. In many instances, you may not be able to find information on the company’s website. Many companies do not get this right.
· Include a cover page and reference page, in addition to the 6-7 pages of analysis described above.
· Include appropriate section headings.
· Cite and reference all sources, including those that you paraphrase. This means include citations and quotation marks for direct quotes of more than five words, and citations for information you have “borrowed” or paraphrased from other sources.
· Follow TUI Guidelines for Well-Written Papers.
· Submit your analysis by the end of this module.
Module 1 – SLP
STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT PROCESS/VISION, MISSION, GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
To begin the MGT599 SLP sequence, you first need to first run the simulation using the Default Decisions. In other words, use the prices and R&D percentages that are already there (do not change any decisions made by Joe Thomas).
Capture or collect the results for each product (W1, W2, and W3) for each year that you run the simulation. Copy (using Excel, by hand, or some other method) the financial results and marketing results, as well as the information provided by your Advisor.
Read the following scenario carefully before you proceed:
It is December 31, 2016. Joe Thomas, the VP of Marketing at the Wonder Company, is smugly patting himself on the back for how well he has done with pricing and product development of the three company products: W1, W2, and W3. Of course, Joe knows his strategy was not creative at all (i.e., he did not change any prices or R&D allocations over the past five-year period: 2012 through 2016). But he is certain that he really did not need to change anything anyway, and that his overall performance is proof of his good work.
Sally Smothers, the CEO of Wonder Co., knows better, and she fires Joe (but why did she wait so long?).
On the same day Joe is fired, you are hired to replace him. And so…here you are, on December 31, 2016, as the new V.P. of Marketing of the Wonder Company. You are ready to move the company ahead into 2017. Your boss, Sally Smothers, expects you to make intelligent and informed product development and pricing decisions (after all, you are an MBA).
Session Long Project
Write a 6- to 7-page paper (not including cover and reference pages), using Sally’s instructions, which follow:
Sally asks you to review Joe’s decisions from 2013 through 2016 to see what was going on in terms of product development, sales, pricing, and performance. Your final report is due on Sally’s desk by January 15, 2017 – you have only 2 weeks to run the simulation, analyze your results, and write up the report, so you had best get started on this now!
Using the default decisions (i.e., make no changes within the simulation), analyze Joe Thomas’s decisions and results, and then write the report that Sally is requesting. Access the Wonder Company simulationand collect the data for each year. Determine where you believe Joe went wrong, and propose a new strategy. Support your revised strategy using financial analysis and relevant business theories.
KEYS TO THE ASSIGNMENT:
The key aspects to this assignment that are required to be covered in your paper include:
1. A review of each product – W1, W2, and W3 – its life cycle, and how each product stacks up in terms of price and performance.
2. Financial review of each product – W1, W2, and W3 – sales, costs, profitability, prices, unit margins, etc.
3. Market review: New Sales, Repeat Sales, Market Saturation, etc.
4. Propose an alternate strategy: A general idea of how you might do better with these products: what pricing and R&D allocations, etc., you would have put in place over the last four years, 2013 – 2016. In short, what would you have done differently than Joe Thomas at each decision point? Be specific.
SLP Assignment Expectations
Your paper will be evaluated using the grading rubric.
TIPS AND SUGGESTIONS:
Please note the following tips and suggestions:
· Include a cover page and reference page, in addition to the 6-7 pages of written analysis described above.
· Use section headings as appropriate. Use graphs, charts, or figures strategically – but do not use these as “space fillers.” Include large tables or graphics in an Appendix instead.
· Cite and reference all sources that you use in your work, including those that you paraphrase. This means include citations and quotation marks for direct quotes, and citations for that information which you have “borrowed” or paraphrased from other sources.
· Follow TUI Guidelines for well-written papers.
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.